Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Ultimate Parisian Weekened

This weekend I actually stayed home in Paris. Because of this rather unusual opportunity, I decided to put my legs to work and cover as much of Paris and the surrounding area as my health would allow me.


Thursday after class, a light walk to the Marais turned into a serous outing, as I traversed most of the quarter on my own, relaxed for a bit at the oldest square in Paris where royalty used to roam (the Place de Vosges), hopped back on the Metro to go to the Louvre where I wandered around my favorite exhibit of Greek sculptures (free with my student card that says I'm an art history major, even though I'm an English major), and then lounged for a bit in the garden Tullieries, just me and Albert Camus's The Outsider (L'Etranger).

(*Photo: my favorite room at La Louvre)
I think I've found Le Marais to be one of the--if not THE--most interesting and fun quarters of Paris (and not just because of the rather large population of gays). Here, one can linger in some of the oldest (Medieval) streets of Paris, visit the Picasso Museum or Victor Hugo's house or the Pompidou Museum of modern art, get some yummy treats in the Jewish quarter, and find the coolest little shops and cafes. I can't wait to go back.
(*Photo: The Hall of Mirrors at Versailles)


Friday proved to be rather adventurous, as I tagged along with one of the Center's classes on their field trip to Versailles, the palace of past French kings and Austrian princesses, where a few of us rented bikes for an hour to explore the beautiful gardens and back forests during the one gorgeous sunny hour of the day (the chateau itself is a bit too gaudy for me...). The trip was well worth the free entrance (student card again), though there's no way you'd get me to tour every one of the 2,000 rooms in the place.
(*Photo: one fountain at the gardens of Versailles)


Friday night I spent two hours walking through a steady mist looking for probably the best bar in all of Paris, classily sporting its name of La Perle (it's worth the time it takes to find it). At La Perle, the locals go to see and be seen--"it's where the beautiful people go," I have heard. And I'd have to say, it's true. Moreso than that, however, it's the lively atmosphere, with hundreds of people spilling outside into the streets, that truly makes this bar a pearl.


Saturday afternoon revealed a 45 minute train trip with a friend to Giverny, the home and gardens of the impressionist artist Claude Monet. An extreme difference from the loud and dirty streets of Paris, the fresh air and beautiful gardens of this minute town made quite the rejuvenating day trip. A mushroom-ham-cream crepe and brief nap later, I got my second wind and prepared myself for the ridiculousness that was England vs. France in the semifinals for rugby.


Thinking that it would be a good idea to try to catch the game at the Eiffel Tower where a huge screen had been set up was probably the most Parisian thing I've done, because everyone else in Paris had the same idea. A crowd of 80,000 strong made it absolutely impossible to find my friends, so I lost myself in the crowd, who was constantly screaming "Allez les Blues!" (Go Blues!), and tried to understand the obsession that is half soccer and half football. France lost, but spirits were still high as about half of Paris (including me) headed to the Latin quarter for a night of comraderie amongst the blue, white, and red.


Today I Metroed over to the Hotel de Ville, where about a hundred people were basking in the unusual sun (still sporting white arms beneath long black sleeves) on a square of astroturf. It was kind of like lounging outside at Santa Clara on a sunny day, only the grass was plastic, the buildings were hundreds of years older, and the people were fully-clothed. :)


Overall all, it was a very satisfactorily French weekend. Though my knee is shot from all the walking and it's 8 p.m. on Sunday and I have yet to start any homework, I can't complain. I'm off to enjoy yet another delicious many-course meal with my French family (my tummy is happy just thinking about it). :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home